Sunday, March 8, 2009

OK, I Guess it's Time!



I don't know about you guys, but I have been skirting the "artist" vs. "crafter" issue for some time. What is the difference? What am I? I've gathered some books, been to a few seminars, but never really applied myself to learning the language of art. I've allowed my intuition to be my guide, but now it's time to focus in a bit.

I am really hoping to get some input from readers here. I have gathered some resources which speak to me, and to the best of my ability I will demonstrate the points -- but I know there is a wealth of visual art out there that could chime in here! Send in pictures that you find that clearly illustrate a point and tell us what you do to learn.

To start, I am going to paraphrase a list I found in the book "Creative Composition and Design" by Pat Dews. I really love this book. Pat is a painter, but her words and methods speak to me.

She says in part: "All the design advice in the world will not help you create better art if you are missing the fundamentals it takes to become a better artist." Vow to live by this list:

1. Read, Study and look at good art. Listen to the pros.

2. Make the time and create the space to work. Work. Make small studies.

3. View your in-progress works from a distance and from every orientation.

4. Learn to take good photos for reference. You need reference material that you have made.

5. Enter shows, sell your work and reward yourself!

That's it for today. Have a creative day!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting points to consider. My thinking is that art vs craft is not based on materials (paint/pencil/ink vs fiber/clay/metal)but rather than intent, talent, and FOUNDATION is a BIGGIE.

    ReplyDelete