Sunday, February 22, 2009

On Joy

Thanks to all of you who gave me feedback on the blog! Hope the color change makes it easier to read. I will continue to fill out the features as I can...

It took me a day or two to work through my thoughts on the second meaning of Presence. Webster's says "5 a: the bearing, carriage, or air of a person ; especially : stately or distinguished bearing b: a noteworthy quality of poise and effectiveness ".

As I started making one of a kind things, I noticed that when people put them on, there was something really special about that experience. They felt -- what is it -- like they had presence?

I think it actually goes a little deeper than that. I think, for some people at least, buying something that makes them feel beautiful or distinguished (you word smiths help me find the right word here) is part of the process of finding joy. It's allowing something wonderful to be part of your life. This does not have to be about buying anything at all -- it's that process of allowing something you love -- that makes you feel energized -- some space in your life. Joy is something we have to begin to notice in our lives. Again, there is such a focus on our busy productive lives, that I don't think we stop to notice -- or allow -- that which brings us joy.

You guys expand this thought!

Next up -- Elizabeth Gilbert on the creative process

No comments:

Post a Comment